September 2021 – “The Church worships idols”

Home Page Forums Whaddaya Say? September 2021 – “The Church worships idols”

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant

What do you say if someone says, “I am not Catholic because Catholics break the first Commandment. The Church has idols and sacred images, and it encourages people to bow down to them and pray to them.”

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Participant

The Israelites were given the Ten Commandments, but also very detailed instructions on how to make a tabernacle and worship God. God described to them all kinds of beautiful decorations, including two statues of angels facing the Mercy Seat (where God would meet with His people over the Ark of the Covenant). These angels were not idols, and the Israelites did not worship them. These were images that demonstrated praise and reverance for God in His temple. A Church decorated with beautiful images of Our Lord, His Blessed Mother, and the Saints glorifies God.

Participant

Answers from our SPSE Catholic Apologetics Facebook page:

I agree it does look like that especially when you see people waving hankies at a statue, it is something as a Catholic I struggle with, and yet what I believe is that they are a tool to remind us of what we are about, a creative way of praying.
      Kevin A

I’m Catholic and I’ve never prayed to a statue! I prayed in front of a statue but my heart and soul was praying to The Father, Son and the Holy Spirit. I do often ask our Blessed Mother and the Saints to pray for me and others.
      Dominika V

I’m Catholic and don’t pray to a an idol. People who pray to an idol believe it can actually hear you. When I pray (talk) to our Blessed Mother, I may sit or stand by a “representation” made of wood or ceramic, but that doesn’t mean I believe the wood or ceramic has any power.
      Garry W

The context of the prohibition on making statues in the Bible was at a time when statues were being made to be worshiped (idols).
      In the book of Exodus, chapter 25, God commanded Moses to make a statue of a Cherub out of gold in order to lead people to God. The Catholic Church uses statues of saints for the same purpose, to lead others to God.
      Martua C

Have you a photo in your house to remind you of a person? The Statues are their to help us focus our minds on Almighty God.
      Anthony J

I’d likely say something like ”Oh, I totally understand!” Then while pulling up a picture say… “not to change the subject but have you seen what’s happening in the news?” And show them images of a flag burning.
      As soon as they find it upsetting, ask “Why should this bother us? It’s just a piece of fabric, right?”
      The point is that any decent American will react to a burning US flag. And it makes it much easier for them to begin understanding that it’s not about the thing/image, it’s about what it represents/symbolizes.
      For us, embracing an image of Jesus or His mother is just saying that we love Him and His mother. The love isn’t for the plastic, plaster or wooden object we hold. Much like the love we have for our country isn’t the same as love for a flag.
      Brad S

If I get on my knees and pray at my bed before going to sleep am I worshipping my pillow and linens?
      Dei G

Icons are not idols since icons follow the Apostolic tradition. Idols don’t.
      Atheists have idols. We have Holy Icons from Apostolic tradition.
      Mea K

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.