Kerygma

Home Page Forums Community Forum Kerygma

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant

What do y’all think about laying out the Gospel message like this?

The proposal
    1st – God shows his love for us by creating us in His image and likeness.
    But we disobeyed Him and fell from grace. We were separated from God and destined for hell.
    But God loves us too much to leave us like that. So, what did He do?

God, the Father, sent His only Son, Jesus, to become man and atone for our sins by dying on the cross. This act of love by Jesus was so pleasing to the Father that it made up for all the sins that man would ever commit.

And because of this amazing act of love, we, too, are able to become sons and daughters of Godā€¦ All we have to do is put our faith and trust in Jesus, repent of our sins, get baptized and follow Him.
    If we do this we’ll be infused with God’s supernatural life, and the Holy Spirit will dwell within us.
    Becoming one with God and being infused with His life is what saves us from sin and hell.
    But we’re not just saved from something, but we’re also saved for something.
    God wants us to be partakers of his nature and share in His divine life of love for all eternity.

Now, before we say ā€˜yesā€™, we have to know what we’re getting ourselves into.
    Jesus says that we have to count the cost. So, what does it cost?

Everything. He wants you totally. Like a groom wants his bride.
    That means putting God above everyone and everything else.
    It means turning away from our old way of living and embracing a selfless and virtuous lifestyle.
    It means loving the people we encounter as Jesus loved us.
    That means forgiving everyone and taking care of the less fortunate and inviting others to come to know and follow Jesus too.

If you think thatā€™s too hard and that it’s not for you, well, youā€™re half right.
    It is too hard, but it definitely is for you. God created you to love like Jesus. It’s your destiny. Nothing else will bring you lasting peace.

The problem is that we were born with a wounded nature that we inherited from our first parents. So we find ourselves drawn toward these selfish and destructive ways.

But Jesus can give us eternal lifeā€¦ and He wants nothing more than to do just that.
    He does it by giving us His own body, blood, soul, and divinity.
    Do you know when and where we’re able to receive Jesus? During Holy Communion at every Mass. The priests in the Catholic Church have a power that was handed onto them from the original 12 apostles. With that power of the Holy Spirit, they have the ability to turn bread and wine into the body and blood of Jesus. That’s how Jesus is able to abide in us, and us in Him. You can only get this at Mass. That’s why it’s so important that we go on Sundays and holy days of obligation.

If we accept Godā€™s proposal to be one with Him, we’re probably not going to be able to break all of our bad habits right away. It takes time, prayer, and the power of God to heal us from those vices. Do you know where we receive that healing power? In the sacrament of confession. The confessional is not just a place to go to be forgiven. It’s also a place of healing. It’s an encounter with the Risen Lord. We receive power in that encounter. Jesus rubs off on us.
    Without Him, we can do nothing (Philippians 4:13). Itā€™s a glorious proposal!

I hope you say yes though because the consequences of saying no are not good. It would mean being separated from the God who loves you forever. That’s the worst thing possible.

Your loved ones need not give an answer right away. Encourage them to pray and think about it. Let them know that it’s never too late to say ‘yes’ to the proposal… even after years of ‘no’… even on their deathbed.

But the sooner the better.

After explaining this, they have to make the decision for themselves.
    God has no grandchildren.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Jon Tarman
      Participant

This is Jon Tarman. The following is the kerygma in my own words: God, the Father of all ,who is Love, created us to be in relationship with Him. He has a plan for each of us. Sin entered the world through the deception of the devil. Due to sin each of us were separated from God. Sin is a destructive power which leads to eternal separation from God in hell. God sent his son Jesus, to become man, and make atonement for our sins, by dying on the cross, and rising from the dead to give us eternal life. By putting our faith in Jesus, repenting of our sins, and baptism, we receive the gift of salvation, and the Holy Spirit becoming disciples of Jesus. Jesus created the Catholic Church to teach with his authority, empowers us by his grace, and restore us to salvation if we sin.

Jon Tarman
      Participant

Hi My name is Jon Tarman. I am brand new to this learning program. My initial reaction to reading this is that it was a lot. If I am trying to plant seeds I would think that little bits over a period of time would allow the person hearing it to process the information. This may also be more conducive to forming a relationship with the person so they know that they are valued as a person. I believe people want to know that someone cares before they care what we know.

Ray Smith
      Participant

Team,

I read that very comprehensive response and I wondered “what would have been the question that preceded this and who would it have come from?” Perhaps a Muslim, asking about your understanding of God…that they’ve heard our communion is different than other Christians…what is confession?
      Or, it might have come from someone who was unchurched in any sort of way.

Well, everyone is going to give you a different answer, so here’s mine. At the table, it’s going to be different than at someone’s dining room table, where you can certainly do this the way you’ve outlined above. I might try and shorten it up for an evangelization table and an initial discussion. Just my two cents.

Participant

Hey Robert,

Im new to the SPSE movement so I’m going through the boards. I was wondering if you had any update on how the approach went. To me its solid truth-on-truth but how did it go with the presentation? My thoughts is that once I’m out there it can go 100+ different ways.

Like I said I’m new, so my approach right now is to plant seeds. So can I ask you this… How are you able to plant seeds with so much at once? I tried to grow a fig tree this year and turns out I inhibited it from growth because I overwatered it. I swear i thought a tree needed that much, but turns out it actually doesn’t, its a really difficult tree to grow. Lucky for me, after a few months, I’m starting to see it sprout again. I cant claim to be anything or anyone other than someone who is pretty wary of the hesitation to hear us out. In better days (the days of St. Paul haha) people were more open to truth, knowledge.

I believe you have the Holy Spirit flaring through you and that’s so great! If I could just say something, remember that we need to be so patient and patient with the lost sheep. Love them, tender them, comfort them.. its so much more beautiful when they come to you for the truth.

I hope that wasn’t weird haha
      -F

Participant

So, thank you Bob for stretching my brain during our “Street Ready” interview call. However, this old brain does forget things. Folks, I made what could have been a fatal error when I quoted Mark 16:17-18 & Matt 10:8 in response to Bob’s role-play question of “why are you so confident in your beliefs?” Well, they quizzed me on whether I really believed WE could pray for someone to be raised from the dead. Here’s the miracle story I was too flustered to share. Folks, we BELIEVE every word in Scripture!! Matt 10:8 “Cure the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, drive out demons. Without cost you have received; without cost you are to give.” Mark 16:17-18 These signs will accompany THOSE WHO BELIEVE: in My name they will drive out demons, they will speak new languages.They will pick up serpents [with their hands], and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm them. They will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.ā€ Pastor Jim Baker of Zion Church in Powell, Ohio also spoke of witnessing someone raised from the dead, but I can’t find the testimony. NOW, go out and pray with people on the street and EXPECT signs & wonders! Love to all. Praise Jesus!

Matt Loboda is a personal friend of mine. He grew up with my children, down the street in Garfield Heights, Ohio. His daughter, Joy, was raised from the dead. Here’s his story: https://lepantoin.org/light-shineth-darkness/

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.