June 2021 “Why is the Catholic Church against gay marriage?”

Home Page Forums Whaddaya Say? June 2021 “Why is the Catholic Church against gay marriage?”

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant

In the secular world June is gay pride month, so it’s important that evangelists are able to explain in a loving way why the Catholic Church opposes gay marriage.

When someone asks, “Why is the Catholic Church against gay marriage?”, how would you respond?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Participant

Thanks for asking that question! Before I answer, do you mind if I ask you: What do you think is the main purpose of marriage?
      (they might answer something like, “It’s for people who love each other”)
      Yes, I agree with you, love is really important in relationships! As Catholics, we have a spiritual view of marriage. God created each human being to get to know Him and love Him so he or she can live with Him forever in Heaven someday. God created the marriage arrangement so children could be brought up in a home where they can be helped to worship God.
      The Catholic Church welcomes all people, but the holy sacrament of marriage is reserved for a man and a woman for the purpose of having children that will love God and go to Heaven.

Participant

Why is the Catholic Church against gay marriage?

Because God instituted marriage to be a life-long covenant between a man and woman that’s ordered toward the well-being of the spouses and to the procreation and upbringing of children. Using it in any other way will always end up hurting people. So we’re against gay marriage because we don’t want people to get hurt.

Participant

Answers from SPSE Catholic Apologetics Facebook page:

Why is the Catholic Church against gay marriage?

Any sex out of the sacrament of marriage is a mortal sin. I would explain that straight single men fight the same temptation of having sex out of marriage. And God can heal them from their temptations. I would talk about friends who are struggling with same sex attraction and the God is healing them through confession the Eucharist and praying the rosary.
      Paul L

A conversation like this cannot be had without an understanding of chastity as it is understood by the Church.
      If chastity is absent from the conversation, then it becomes about behaviors and “who can do what” – and this makes it impossible to escape accusations of discrimination.
      Meanwhile, chastity (which is not the same as abstinence or celibacy) is proposed to all people, regardless of state in life, age, or marital status. It is a proposal for everyone, and it is people who choose to reject the proposal of chastity, not the church rejecting people.
      Chastity (and successful integration) need to be looked into.
      So to answer the question, I would say: The Church supports that which helps us grow in holiness and the fullness of virtue. However, to understand that more profoundly, we need to have conversations about the meaning of holiness, virtue, sin, and conscience.
      Most importantly, we need to have conversations about where we place the authority of the Church when it comes to faith and morals – as in, do we place the authority of the Church above or below our own.
      Hudson B

I would say the Catholic Church is for marriage the way God instituted marriage. Any marriage outside of what God instituted is not valid because it’s outside of what God instituted. God makes the rules whether we like it or not, and there are consequences for breaking God’s rules.
      Carlos T

Because a life-giving one-flesh union is not possible.
      Kathryn T

Something cannot change even if the Church is tempted by the worldly values to change God’s laws which are eternal. What will Christ say about gay marriages? Only God can judge our eternal destiny (heaven or hell) but it’s also our duty to offer fraternal correction for conversion.
      Francis K

Marriage is intended by God as the union of wills between a man and a woman to be united by God as one in the Sacrament of Matrimony in order to further the creating power of God by naturally bearing children.
      Marriage is not the mere legalization of love, joint ownerships, romance, and sex by law.
      God is the principal authority to validate a marriage.
      Chito S

Participant

I had a sign out one weekend praying the Rosary and the sign said “Gods Marriage – One man and One woman”. A lesbian drove up amd got out of her car and said to me, “ I am a lesbian and I want to know why you are doing this”. I asked if she had an open mind. Yes she said. Do you know what natural law is?? No. Can I explain it to you? Yes.
      Everything we see is part of natural law. The air we breath goes in our nose and mouth, not our ears. The cars driving by are for roads not the ocean. Boats are for the ocean and not the street. Our body’s are also subject to natural law. We don’t use ice picks to clean our ears or steel wool to brush our teeth. And we have a complete circulatory system to take blood to every part of our bodies. But we don’t have a complete reproduction system. We MUST have the opposite sex to create life. That is why you live an average of 10 to 15 years less than we do. Why you have higher rates of depression, suicide, cancer and every disease out there. 40% of all anal cancer cases are related to homosexuality yet they are less than 8% of the population. That is way out of kilter due to natural law. So we are doing this to help you. She said Thank you and left

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.