Reply To: December 2020: What do you say if someone says yoga helps calm their child?

Home Page Forums Whaddaya Say? December 2020: What do you say if someone says yoga helps calm their child? Reply To: December 2020: What do you say if someone says yoga helps calm their child?

Participant

Great answers, Ed, Dan & Brian!

Here’s the best of the answers from our SPSE Catholic Apologetics Facebook page:

It is possible to stretch and exercise without practicing another religion. Hinduism is at the root of yoga which professes a belief in many fake gods and the worship of creatures which are not divine.
Chris P

Practicing yoga is Hindu and a sin against the first commandment. The poses are representations of different gods. Plus it’s a portal for demons to enter. If you want to keep your kids calm, the rosary is a far better option.
Emily D

Some of the yoga poses give honor and glory to the hundreds of yoga gods. It doesn’t matter if you don’t believe it. It opens a person up to demonic activity. The devil still exists and has power even if people don’t believe in the devil.
Irmmy A

I’m a former instructor (10 years and 25 practicing) and I would say that they should stay away from it. There are too many insidious things attached to it to redeem it. They can find other activities for calming their child. I would do simple stretches and try to avoid poses specific to yoga. I had a very direct instruction from our Lord that became impossible to ignore right after returning to the Church and sacraments. My priest taught against it during a homily-also, priests known for exorcism warn against it. I taught secular and Holy Yoga. My experience was that the yoga community in general is filled with gender confusion and general sexual behaviors contrary to God’s law. I’m talking about people who were married, getting divorced, and re “marrying” same sex. Or raising their tween as the opposite gender publicly on social media. The point is that it’s a door that has been opened and will not easily be shut if it begins to be a problem.
Valerie B